1. What were the lowest grades you actually accepted for this course last year, rather than the published grades? Sometimes they are different and it’s helpful to find this out.
2. What percentage of students pass the first year? And what percentage pass the whole course?
3. What do students who pass this course go on to do?
4. How is the course assessed?
5. How many hours would I be studying with a member of teaching staff e.g. lectures, tutorials, practicals etc. - usually called contact hours.
6. What style of teaching is given on this course? Perhaps it’s hands-on, activity led learning or inquiry-based using your own research, often studying on your own. Consider what works best in this subject and what you enjoy most.
7. Would I have a personal tutor, and how often am I allowed to meet them?
8. What makes this course in XYZ different to similar courses at other institutions?
9. What is the student satisfaction score for this course?
10. What else is available to students to support their learning, i.e. field trips, a success coach, internship grants etc.
Please don’t be shy. The answers you receive will help you make an informed choice. So look them in the eyes and get the vital information you need.