York Students in Schools connects students from the UoY with local schools, to help make a difference to the lives of young people in York. Every year, around 700 students support approximately 50 local schools and learning through a wide range of placements and projects, from nursery to college levels.
Our programmes all aim to primarily work with disadvantaged young people in the City of York, but with a broad aim to ensure all young people in the City aspire and are able to reach their full potential. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there will be an even greater need to support schools, specifically around catch-up and curriculum.
All age groups - classroom assistance
- Help with 1-1 reading, small group work, SEN/pastoral support
- EAL support - matching pupils to a student with the same first language
- 1/2 a day a week for 8 weeks or a 2 week block placement (specific dates)
- Speech and Language placements in nurseries (partnered with CYC to deliver)
- Year 11 English/Maths GCSE tutoring - this has been thoroughly evaluated and evidenced
a positive impact on attainment for Maths.
- Maths Excellence Club (Year 7-9) and Human Rights workshops (Year 7-13)
Bespoke school requests for team projects
- Curriculum linked e.g. history podcast for 6th formers / cross school politics debate
- Extra-curricular / aspirations e.g. police/law event days on campus
- Cultural capital - e.g. Chinese New Year workshops, origami video resources
York Cares is an employee-volunteering charity, which brings businesses, employees and communities together to make York a better place. Our priorities include engaging disadvantaged children in learning and inspiring young people to work harder and aim higher. For more information on our schools programmes, Aspirations and Inspiring Minds, please visit our website http://www.yorkcares.co.uk