We are Aberystwyth University, but you can call us Aber.
The University has a proud history rooted in and supported by the community. We are a research-led university committed to providing an excellent educational experience for our students. We are small enough to know our students as individuals and big enough to have an international reputation. We pride ourselves on being a vibrant academic community and we are privileged to live in a stunning natural environment as well as a historic seaside market town.
About the Student Recruitment and Widening Participation Team
Information for school and college colleagues
Our Student Recruitment and Widening Participation Team is home to expert staff, who provide higher education advice and guidance.
We have members of the team based throughout Wales, as well as in Northern, Central and Southern England, who can visit your school or college to deliver a range of interactive sessions to your learners and their parents and supporters. From UCAS Personal Statement support to Student Finance, and Researching Higher Education to Making the Most of University Open Days, our team is on hand to help your learners make informed decisions about Higher Education. Oh and don’t forget, we can also support by attending Careers/ HE Fairs and Parents’ Evenings.
Working with the National Library of Wales, our Welsh Baccalaureate Experience Days also provide learners with the opportunity to visit campus and develop a range of study skills which they can integrate into their academic studies.
In order to widen access and increase participation from all social classes and geographic areas, the University:
- Offers activities and opportunities through hosting a number of annual events such as British Science Week, Robotics Week, Salters Chemistry Festival, Nuffield Challenge, Mid-Wales Maths Challenge and the Ceredigion Careers Festival.
- Provides STEM outreach provision both to the wider community and to schools and colleges in the Mid-Wales area from primary year 5 and upwards.
- Offers a programme of non-award bearing activities for our local area, where rural deprivation and poverty of access denies opportunity to those of post-statutory schooling age. This can develop individual skills and confidence and raise awareness of provision for adults / mature students.
- Liaises closely with schools and colleges in which a low proportion of pupils progress to HE, to raise pupil confidence and aspirations including Taste of University Life visits to campus, Student Insight Series, Making it from Application to Arrival activities, Before, During and Beyond, and support for the Welsh Baccalaureate Individual project.
At Aberystwyth, we continue to receive recognition for our excellence in teaching and student experience. From academic excellence and student satisfaction, we pride ourselves on our welcome and our inclusivity located in one of the most breath taking Mid Wales.
We are proud to be consistently recognised as a leading UK University.
Awards and accolades include the below. Browse all HERE.
- Top in England and Wales for Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022; Based on the universities featured in The Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022)
- Top in Wales for Teaching Excellence and Student Satisfaction (Good University Guide, The Times and Sunday Times 2023)
- Gold Award for Halls and Student Accommodation (WhatUni? Student Choice Awards 2022)
- Top 10 University for Student Life (WhatUni? Student Choice Awards 2022)
- Top 10 University for Lectures and Teaching Quality (WhatUni? Student Choice Awards 2022)
Video for students - This is your place
Events without a specific start date