Hello from the University of Derby Schools and Colleges Liaison Team.
At Derby we help students achieve their dreams, with relevant education that prepares them for life after graduation. Industry-standard equipment and facilities help them apply their learning, while our expert teaching team bring experience and insight direct from their professional fields.
Our Schools and Colleges Liaison team host on-campus events, attend HE fairs and give talks to students, parents, teachers and careers advisers across the UK.
Information for teachers and careers advisers
We have a range of activities available for your year 12 and 13 students, whether you are looking for something virtual, pre-recorded or to visit us on-campus. Our events have been designed to showcase the breadth of course options and future careers available to students considering their next steps.
We can work with you to develop your visit day based on the timings and content that work best for you, and may be able to support towards transport costs.
We offer a wide range of activities and events for your students, including:
- ‘Careers in...’ talks - where your students can hear from academic experts and current students, who will discuss the exciting careers on offer within the industry
- ‘Making it Real’ subject events – these virtual or on-campus events across our subject areas allow you to sculpt a package of activities that best suit your needs
- Information, advice and guidance talks - where we support your students in making decisions about higher education. Topics include: How to choose a course, UCAS and personal statements, and Student finance.
We can also arrange subject-specific talks by our expert academics, which can be delivered in-person or virtually. This is in addition to attending Careers Fairs and Recruitment Exhibitions.
Events for teachers and careers advisers
We provide advice and support for teachers and careers staff. We offer bespoke on-campus CPD days which keep you up to date with the latest developments in higher education and other helpful information to share with your students. Sessions include:
- Update on the University of Derby: course changes, new facilities and student support
- Reference writing guidance from Admissions
- Apprenticeships update
- Supporting students’ transition to university
- Top tips for students applying for interviewing courses
- Student wellbeing support
- Q&A panel with current undergraduate students
Teacher Resources on Demand
We also have a Teacher Resources on Demand hub, your one-stop for resources covering everything from personal statements to student finance. Our resources will give you guidance on how to best support your students as well as ensuring you meet the Gatsby Benchmarks.
We provide a range of support for students throughout the application process to help them make informed decisions about their transition to university.
Students can directly book onto some events themselves, including:
- Open Days
- Campus Tours
- Some virtual talks and events
We will clearly identify events that can only be booked by teachers and careers advisers. Students can book our events through the link on the event page, or can contact us at [email protected] for more information.