LIPA’s Year 10/11 Progression Framework is a two-year joined-up programme of activities intended to deepen participants’ understanding of what studying for a performing arts or making performance possible degree involves. It is also designed to help students learn more about the career options that the performing arts offer, including backstage, management roles and working with sound. Participants attend workshops and talks to help acquire knowledge and experience that will help them make informed decisions about their future.
The programme consists of 5 core activities:
1) A welcome event for Year 10 students who have been successful at auditions, and their parents. Year 10, January
2) LIPA Xtra: A three day course of practical workshops, designed to inspire Year 10 students to think about either acting, dance, singing, music or backstage as potential career options, and giving them their first insight into what it might be like to study these subjects at university level. Year 10, April
3) LIPA Summer Xperience: In this five day course, students get first-hand experience of what it’s like to come together as a team to put on a polished end-of-week production. Year 10, August
4) Year 11 Skills workshop: An excellent opportunity to focus directly on skills and techniques they wish to develop. Year 11, December
5) LIPA Summer Engage: This immersive and intensive three day experience combines practical workshops with the opportunity for students to reflect on their progress and plan their future development. Year 11, July
We also offer to students interested in Making Performance Possible subjects:
a) Studio and Sound: Students spend time in one of LIPA’s recording studios, getting to understand more about the equipment and our overall philosophy in our teaching of Sound Technology. Year 10 or 11, August TBC
b) Explore Backstage: A tour of LIPA’s backstage teaching spaces and facilities combined with a trip to a Liverpool theatre to participate in workshops delivered by practising backstage theatre professionals. Year 10 or 11, February
Participants must sign up at the start of the programme and attend a minimum of three of the core sessions to complete the scheme.
All activities take place outside of school time (some evenings but mainly during school holidays) and there is no cost for participation.
This programme is targeted at students who are under-represented in Higher Education – see eligibility criteria detailed below. All interested students will need to complete and return a registration form prior to the audition dates: this will allow us to assess whether they are eligible for the programme.
Traditionally we recommend entry into the two-year programme at the start of the programme in Year 10 as each activity builds on the one before and participants will only gain maximum benefit from completing the whole programme. However, we also accept students auditioning to join the programme mid-way through the programme, including entry for eligible Year 11s at the Year 11 stage.
Project information, the online registration form and full eligibility criteria can be found at the link below: http://www.lipa.ac.uk/wp
We are currently accepting application forms for this scheme.
Students who meet at least one of the eligibility criteria will be invited to an audition/interview event at LIPA, which take place throughout the year. As well as giving us the chance to further assess their suitability and commitment for this particular programme, it also allows applicants the opportunity to ask questions and check that the programme is right for them.
Applicants will receive more information about these when we have received and assessed their registration form.